Thursday, 8 October 2015
In Earth's future, a global crop blight and second Dust Bowl are slowly rendering the planet uninhabitable. Professor Brand (Michael Caine), a brilliant NASA physicist, is working on plans to save mankind by transporting Earth's population to a new home via a wormhole. But first, Brand must send former NASA pilot Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) and a team of researchers through the wormhole and across the galaxy to find out which of three planets could be mankind's new home.
Interstellar is a 2014 epic science fiction film directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Michael Caine. The film features a crew of astronauts who travel through a wormhole in search of a new home for humanity. Brothers Christopher and Jonathan Nolan wrote the screenplay, which has its origins in a script Jonathan developed in 2007. Christopher Nolan produced the film with his wife Emma Thomas through their production company Syncopy and with Lynda Obst through Lynda Obst Productions. Caltech theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, whose work inspired the film, was an executive producer and acted as scientific consultant. Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, and Legendary Pictures co-financed the film.
Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema shot the movie on 35 mm (in anamorphic format) and IMAX 70 mm film. Filming commenced in late 2013 in Alberta, Iceland and Los Angeles. The film utilized extensive practical and miniature effects, while Double Negative created additional digital effects.
Interstellar premiered on October 26, 2014 in Los Angeles. In the United States, it was released on film stock, expanding to venues using digital projectors. The film was successful at the box office with a worldwide gross of over $675 million, and received positive reviews from critics, who gave particular praise to the film's science fiction themes; musical score; visual effects; and the performances of McConaughey, Hathaway, Chastain, and Mackenzie Foy. It received several awards and nominations. At the 87th Academy Awards the film won the Best Visual Effects award and was also nominated for Best Original Score, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, and Best Production Design.
Crop blight has made growing food on Earth nearly impossible, threatening the existence of humanity. Cooper, a widowed former NASA pilot, runs a farm with his father-in-law, son and daughter Murphy. Murphy believes her bedroom is haunted by a poltergeist. When the "ghost" creates a pattern of dust on the floor, Cooper realizes an unknown intelligence is using gravity to communicate, and interprets the pattern as geographic coordinates, which Cooper and Murphy follow to a secret NASA installation.
There, they meet Dr. Brand, a college professor of Cooper's. Brand reveals that a wormhole, apparently created by an alien intelligence, appeared near Saturn 48 years before and leads to a distant galaxy, with numerous potentially habitable planets. Twelve volunteers have gone through it, knowing they were unlikely to be able to return, each to assess a different planet's suitability as a new home for humanity. Three – Miller, Edmunds and Mann – have sent encouraging data from planets near Gargantua, a supermassive black hole. Brand recruits Cooper to pilot the spacecraft Endurance to evaluate as many of the planets as possible, while he works on a theory to harness gravity for propulsion, which would allow humanity to leave Earth (which he calls "Plan A"). However, should his efforts fail, the Endurance also carries 5,000 frozen embryos as "Plan B", to provide for humanity's survival. Cooper agrees to the plan, angering Murphy.
Cooper's crew consists of three scientists – Romilly, Doyle, and Brand's daughter Amelia – and robots TARS and CASE. Traversing the wormhole, they first head to Miller's planet, an ocean world where time is severely dilated; for each hour there, seven years pass on Earth. Romilly stays on the Endurance while the rest take a lander to the surface, where they find only Miller's wrecked lander in the shallow ocean. Suddenly, a massive tidal wave strikes, killing Doyle and waterlogging the lander's engines; when Cooper and Amelia return to Endurance, 23 years have elapsed for Romilly and Earth.
Murphy, now an adult, has been assisting Dr. Brand with his research. On his deathbed, he admits to her that he solved the equation long before and deemed Plan A impossible, and that he lied to everyone, pinning his hopes on Plan B. Murphy sends a message notifying Amelia of her father's death, then accuses her and Cooper of abandoning Earth. She continues researching, concluding that Plan A could work if somehow information could be obtained from observing Gargantua's singularity.
With limited fuel left, Cooper decides to go to Mann's planet, rather than Edmunds', as Mann is still transmitting. On arrival, they revive Mann, who has been in stasis. Mann assures the crew that while the frozen planet has an ammonia-laden atmosphere, the planetary surface is fit for human survival. However, when they are alone, Mann tries to kill Cooper, revealing that he falsified the data so he would be rescued. Mann then flees, intending to take the Endurance. Meanwhile, Romilly is killed by a booby trap Mann had set inside his own robot.
Amelia rescues Cooper, and they race to the Endurance, where Mann is attempting to dock. Mann defies Cooper's order not to open the airlock, which fails catastrophically. Mann is killed and the Endurance is severely damaged. Cooper manages to use the landing craft to stabilize the ship. Using the black hole's gravity as a slingshot, they set the ship on course to Edmunds' planet; but being close to a black hole, 51 years would pass on Earth.
Cooper jettisons himself and TARS into the black hole so that Amelia and CASE can complete the journey. Cooper and TARS plunge into the black hole, but emerge in a tesseract, which appears as a stream of bookshelves, with portals that look out into Murphy's bedroom at different times in her life. Cooper realizes that the tesseract and wormhole were created by humans from the future to enable him to communicate with Murphy through gravity waves, and that he is her "ghost". He relays data that TARS collected from the black hole in Morse code by manipulating the second hand of a watch he gave to Murphy before he left. Murphy uses the information to solve the remaining problem, completing "Plan A" and thus saving the population of Earth.
Cooper emerges from the wormhole and is rescued by the crew of a space habitat orbiting Saturn. Aboard, he reunites with Murphy, now elderly and near death. She convinces him to rejoin Amelia, who is with CASE on Edmunds' Planet, which was found to be habitable.
Answer the questions on the basis of the reading material about the movie INTERSTELLER –
1. What are the two causes that have made Earth not fit to live in future?
2. Who is working to save mankind by transporting Earth’s population to a new home via wormhole?
3. Whom does Brand want to send with a team of researchers through the wormhole and across the galaxy?
4. When was the movie released?
5. Who is the director?
6. Which award did the movie get?
7. Who are the main screenplay characters?
8. What kind of fictional film is it?
9. What do we call those persons who travel through space?
10. Who acted as a scientific consultant to inspire this film to the director?
11. What has threatened the existence of humanity?
12. For which agency is the character Cooper work as a pilot?
13. What is his actual occupation or with whom does he work and where in actual sense/
14. Who are the other members of his family live with him?
15. What does Cooper’s daughter believe in?
16. What does the pattern of dust on the floor makes Cooper to understand?
17. Upon whom do they fall their suspicion regarding that pattern of dust in their library of the house?
18. What does Dr. Brand reveal regarding wormhole and which one of planets is nearest to that wormhole?
19. How many of the astronaut volunteers had attempted to travel through it to search a new home for humanity?
20. Who have been able to send data from planets near Gargantua and what is Gargantua?
21. For what does Brand recruit Cooper and for what mission?
22. On what theory does Brand work so that humanity can leave Earth as ‘Plan A’?
23. What is the Plan B of brand in case the Plan A fails?
24. Who are the other members of Cooper’s crew?
25. After crossing the wormhole where does Cooper’s crew head for?
26. What is the name of Cooper’s Spaceship?
27. How do they calculate the time of the other planet Miller with the time of Earth?
28. How does the crew face disaster when the rest of crew takes lander to the surface of the planet Miller?
29. In what way does the time on the planet Earth equal to the time spent on Miller planet by Cooper and Amelia when they returned to the spaceship Endurance?
30. What does Cooper’s daughter Murphy as an adult now finally find the flaws in brand’s plan A?
31. Who is Mann? What harm does Mann do to Cooper to escape through the spaceship Endurance?
32. How do Cooper and Amelia manage to counter Mann and set to Edmund’s Planet?
33. How far is the Edmund planet from the Earth, so how does Cooper try to manipulate the time data by way of blackhole to catch wormhole in order to get back to Saturn and then the planet Earth?
Performing Arts of Indian Heritage - "MALHAR" - 2018, 8-9 September, West Zone Culture Centre, Udaipur Rajasthan
The Kathak Dance Performer - Kavita Thakur The Kathak Dance Performers and Artists on Instruments led by Kavita Thakur Class...
This blog states the ten ways to use Weblog in the classroom: Personal blogging Group Blogging An aggregate blog E-Portfolio Websites of t...
Jayshree Singh- Faculty Profile PPT- 30112017 C.V. Jayshree Singh(BNUniversity)updated 13-02-2018.docx
Performing Arts of Indian Heritage - "MALHAR" - 2018, 8-9 September, West Zone Culture Centre, Udaipur RajasthanThe Kathak Dance Performer - Kavita Thakur The Kathak Dance Performers and Artists on Instruments led by Kavita Thakur Class...